Vegan Butternut Squash & Mushroom Lasagna
This is by far my FAVORITE lasagna recipe and I’m super thankful for my sister for introducing it to me! The end result is well worth the work to make it and it can be easily put together in advance and then reheated later. It’s absolutely delicious and the perfect combo of fancy vegan gourmet and home-cooked comfort food.
Prep Time: 60 min
Cook Time: 60 min
Total Time: 120 min
Yields: 8-10 servings
9 lasagna noodles
1 ½ cups vegan grated mozzarella cheese
½ cup vegan Parmesan
Optional: sage leaves for garnish
Butternut Squash Mixture
1 butternut squash
½ sweet onion (other half to be used in mushroom mixture), sliced into large pieces
3 ½ tbsp olive oil
¼ cup water
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ lbs sliced mushrooms
½ sweet onion, diced
4 chopped garlic cloves
2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
salt to taste
14 oz firm tofu, drained
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp of Italian seasoning or a combination of fresh herbs, for example basil, parsley, or oregano
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp pepper
salt to taste
Optional: nutritional yeast to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425° F. Cut butternut squash in half (long-wise), scoop out the seeds and place it face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place sweet onion slices next to squash and drizzle with ½ tbsp of olive oil. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until tender enough to easily poke holes with a fork. Set aside and let cool. Then lower oven to 375° F.
2. While squash is cooling, start on the mushroom filing. Heat olive oil in a large pan and add mushrooms, onions and salt. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent and mushrooms start to brown. Then add garlic, sage and pepper and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
3. Next, make the tofu filling. In a food processor, mix the tofu (broken up into smaller pieces), garlic, olive oil and all herbs & spices. Add nutritional yeast is desired. Pulse repeatedly until combined well but not too smooth. Place mixture in separate bowl and set aside.
4. Once butternut squash is cool enough to touch, scoop out the flesh and place in a food processor. This should yield about 4 cups. Add in the roasted onion, olive oil, water, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Puree until you reach the texture of a typical red sauce and add water if necessary.
5. Next, put all of these things together! Lightly grease a 9x13in baking dish and spread about a cup of the butternut squash puree in a thin layer. Add 3 lasagna noodles, then half of the tofu filling (spread out evenly), and half of the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle ½ cup of vegan grated mozzarella. Repeat sequence with 3 more lasagna noodles, the rest of the tofu filling, a thin layer of butternut puree, the rest of the mushroom mixture and another ½ cup of vegan mozzarella. Add vegan Parmesan too, if desired. Finish with another layer of 3 more lasagna noodles, the remaining butternut puree and vegan cheese(s).
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Serve topped with additional sage if desired.
Adapted from recipe by www.feastingathome.com.